There are a wide variety of employment opportunities in this
industry. The skills students develop at Cuyamaca will start them
on the road to success as:
- Art or Advertising Director
- Desktop Publisher
- Display Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Digital or technical illustrator
- Marketing Directors
- Multimedia Designers
- Package Designers
- Web Page Designer
Some students choose to become entrepreneurs by free-lancing
while building their own independent businesses, while others start
their professional journey with professional employment.
Companies are looking for people
- Artistic talent beyond software skills.
- Solid design techniques involving color, typography and
- Overview knowledge of the entire development and pre-press
and production process.
- Web and interactive designers need to understand front-end
and back-end interfaces.
- Verbal and visual communication skills necessary for working
with teams and clients.
- An understanding of the business strategies and marketing
goals behind the design.
- Able to problem solve and conceptualize on your own while
being able to think like the client.
- Enthusiasm for learning the new software and tools that
are constantly changing for the industry.
It is often a good idea to begin employment prior to completion
of the program by participating in the internship program or freelancing
on individual projects commercially.
Things you may be asked to do:
- Produce layouts, ads and presentations
- Convert rough comps to finished press-ready art
- Develop and maintain web and multi-media presentations
- Assist other designers and art directors
- Illustrate for print and online media
- Typesetting, photo masking, create charts and contribute
other small components of a larger project.
- Create logos, identity packages, brochures
Your projects in your classes will give you the start of a portfolio
to show potential employers.