Term Paper Objectives:
Assure that each student by the end of the semester will
be able to demonstrate the ability to
research, interpret, and report information
related to a specific field of social work
practice, in grammatically correct APA
(American Psychological Association) format.
Students will gain 1) insight into a particular field of
social work service
2) skills in literature search methods 3)
skills in the use of the APA format 4)
understanding of values and ethics that
impact a social worker in this particular
field of service 5) knowledge to describe in
detail a specific field of practice, the
target population, and practice methods.
• Select one field of service. Some
examples of fields of service are Alcohol
and Substance Abuse, Disabilities, Child
Protective Services, Family, Youth
and Children, Counseling, Community and
Neighborhood, Criminal Justice,
Family Services, Grant Writer and
Administrator, International Social Work,
Medical, Mental Health, Older Adults,
Pregnancy and Parenting, and School
Be Sure to Answer
These Questions in Part I of the Term Paper
• What field of social work service
• Why does this field of service interest
you? (2 paragraph maximum)
• Drawing from the literature, describe in
detail the following:
1. What does the research state about this
specific field of service?
2. What is the target population?
3. What are the practice methods that social
workers use in this field?
Indicate micro and/or macro practice
• Choose at least 1 book on the selected
topic and 3 professional social work
or social service journal articles for your
bibliography. You can also use
journal articles from other related
professions such as psychology,
psychiatry, nursing, pediatric, education,
and government sources.
• Magazines, newspaper articles, and
textbooks may be used to supplement
the above bibliography requirements
(excluding the class text).
• Attach one page only from the journal,
book, or article, showing the page
where the research was obtained. If using a
book, include a copy of one of
the pages that you quote directly.
• References must be from the U.S.A. and no
more than 6 years old.
• Journal articles from websites are
accepted providing they end in .gov or .NASW
• Expand upon the target population
1. Are there barriers to service for the
2. What are the presenting problems?
3. What are the environmental causes of
4. Include information regarding the age
ranges, gender, and socioeconomic
statuses of the target population.
5. What are the other pertinent factors,
individual or societal?
6. What are the values and ethical issues
for social workers?
• What is the anticipated income for social
workers in this field of service?
• What is your personal assessment of your
continued interest in this field?