Cuyamaca College skip to content
Paralegal Studies
How to use

FindLaw is a free legal information service containing information for legal professionals, students, business people, and members of the public.

If you know the jurisdiction of the case, it is possible to retrieve the case using only its name using Findlaw. If you don't know the jurisdiction of the case, use a search engine rather than Findlaw to locate your case.

To locate federal cases by name using Findlaw, select "Laws: Cases & Codes" from the initial screen. On this page there is a link to U.S. Supreme Court Opinions and federal appellate court opinions by circuit. After you select the proper jurisdiction, there is a page allowing you to retrieve cases by party name.

FindLaw provides access to the full text of California cases and codes. To locate state cases by name using Findlaw, select "U.S. State Resources" from the first screen, and then select a state. From any state page, select "Primary Materials - Cases, Codes and Regulations." The next screen will have a list of state primary legal resources, which should include court opinions available from Findlaw, i.e. Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Opinions and Appeals Court Opinions on FindLaw. When you select the opinions from Findlaw, there is a box where you can enter a title or docket number. Enter the party names for your case in that search box.

This is the most popular use of FindLaw. FindLaw has extensive legal information on legal issues that regularly affect business people and members of the public. For example, you can find information about losing your job (type ion your zip code first)and dog bites.

If you can’t resolve your problem using the information on FindLaw, find a lawyer who can help you using the FindLaw Directory. FindLaw Directory contains details of over  lawyers and law firms, all searchable by name, area of expertise and location.

research guides home | close window


Page footer information
Cuyamaca College Social Media Cuyamaca College Social Media